Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Ears are Still Ringing....is that the Eternal OM or My Child?......


He's been screaming....for almost 2 days...intermittently, but often enough that I have questioned more than a dozen times if I know what I am doing...

His tooth hurts, he says...he is screaming...

It can't be a cavity, he was just recently at the dentist, having all his teeth worked on, cavities filled, etc. etc....so what is it?  He is a bit of a 'drama king', which is why I haven't really taken things too seriously for the days preceding the obvious "crisis"...but the intensity levels have risen...screaming took on maximum levels and I knew he must be experiencing some crazy pain...I felt sorry for him...

Upon inspection, I saw that something was definitely red and inflamed behind his front tooth...the one he has been saying was starting to get loose (and why I had dismissed it as severe discomfort from something simple - made huge)...but no, it looked like it was abscessing...
OUCH.

Great!

Here it is, the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend, where can I take him? Where can we go?  We aren't in Kansas anymore toto...(in other words... we aren't in Portland, where my Health insurance, including Dental is active...) we are "out of bounds" .... okay, think, think....I have knowledge of the body, of herbs, of natural remedies..."what would they do, most likely, if I took him in?"- I think...? ? ? ....if it's an infection, antibiotics....which I disagree with, which wipe out one's natural friendly bacteria, and which are less potent than some of nature's most potent alternatives...okay.  And pain relief....

Reaching for a "natural antibiotic" alternative..a mixture of myrrh, goldenseal, garlic, comfrey, white oak bark...oh, yeah, and cayenne...(sorry buddy)...in a base of alcohol (sorry again)...we have to douse this thing...two squirts...after much convincing that this is going to ultimately hurt LESS than he does now...(did then)...he concedes...screaming yet again! I know this stuff burns....sorry buddy....but it works...it is strong...sometimes in just a dose or two...I dilute it this time, with water,...use a water pick..and we go back in...every 15 minutes...

He lets me do it again...this time we add garlic oil to the mix, much more mild, tastes like pasta sauce, he says...and a nerve tonic...just in case the nerves are affected...

After hours of screaming on and off...neither of us can handle the intensity...okay, baby aspirin is coming into play...I don't normally go there, but this is a semi-emergency...someone needs some relief...I can tell he is starting to feel delirious from the pain....so am I.

Baths with lavender, geranium, frankincense and epsom salts come to the rescue... two, no three by bedtime...did I mention I am taking care of my 6 month old too?? ...thankfully my sister is taking him with nearly every scream...bless her heart...my parents want to help...but sometimes it is a bit much, I can tell they need a break from all the screaming...they go out to eat....

By day two I can tell the swelling is down...he only woke once in the night screaming...the red is not there...now he has an open wound in his mouth...that hurts!  Amazing how a kid will go down to almost zero food intake (thank goodness for smoothies)...while he doesn't feel good, when otherwise wanting to consume the entire kitchen as the day goes on.


Day two is better...we continue the garlic oil, but switch to a comfrey wash to rebuild the damaged tissues...I have to really find out if his screaming is still a "10"...or if it's less painful, it's hard to tell...he convinces me it's gone down...I know he doesn't feel good, he never takes naps and now he's up to 2 the first day...one is several hours...and the next day too...today he has already gone back for a nap...but luckily spirits are up.

I think we've passed the crisis...thankfully!!! His mouth looks better...he says he feels better...I have to let him know that I love him and want to help him, but can't listen to perpetual whining unless the pain is really intense...otherwise, I have to give up and take him in somewhere...I want to think I did it right...that I know what to do...that it worked,....but there is only so much a mother can take!

He goes back to sleep and wakes up telling me it is just his loose tooth now, the other is better....WOW! whew!
I get a shower in, stretching, a cup of tea and my morning mantras...I made it through.

I know I am doing good in myself when I don't fall apart during this kind of a trauma...
The little one is a happy little guy...it didn't even phase him...

What did I learn through all this??!!

Trust myself.

Trust myself.

Breathe through the intensity....this too will pass..."You know what to do"....It's not as bad as it sounds...Love wins...take care of myself...we can do this together...
Keep nourishing myself...

This IS my spiritual practice.  Being a mother IS my spiritual practice...all the other stuff just keeps me sane.  It's one things to do well when things are fine...it's another thing to keep your cool during the crisis....

Blissings to your house - - may you find comfort and peace even in the eye of the storm...

It takes a village and a calm presence...these children are our teachers.

Thank you

Stasia

No comments:

Post a Comment